In this post, we concentrate on essential behaviors that impact oral health. At Bill Dorfman DDS Century City Aesthetic Dentistry, we remind you that just as preventative dentistry can head off problems before they happen, smart food choices can benefit your teeth.
Of course, effective brushing and flossing are two important habits for healthy teeth, but there are many more things we can do to maintain a healthy smile.
- Do eat a nutritious diet with a variety of foods. This is required for overall physical health and a strong immune system.
- Do consume calcium-rich dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt to neutralize acids that are harmful to enamel.
- Don’t eat sugary foods. Sugar triggers the production of dangerous cavity-causing acids that weaken enamel and lead to cavities.
- Don’t snack throughout the day. This speeds up plaque production and subjects the teeth to continual contact with acids.
- Don’t chew on ice. (It really can crack teeth.)
- Don’t drink energy drinks. They have many substances that are dangerous to teeth.
Other Important Tips
- Don’t use your teeth as tools. It is smarter to cut that knotted shoelace than to gnaw at it to try to untangle it.
- Don’t get piercings in or around your mouth.
- Don’t ignore tooth pain or sensitivity.
- If you have children, speak with Dr. Dorfman about water fluoridation. If your municipal water supply is not fluoridated, you may want to give your kids fluoride supplements.
- Don’t use a medium or hard bristle toothbrush. It can damage gums.
- If you have an eating disorder – seek professional help ASAP. Bulimia and anorexia are extremely damaging to teeth. (Not to mention the toll they take on the heart and other organs.)
We encourage all of our patients to maintain a lifestyle that promotes dental health as well as overall physical health. At Dr. Bill Dorfman, DDS – Century City Aesthetic Dentistry, we provide exceptional dental care including cosmetic dentistry, and general and family dentistry. Make an appointment today.
Contact Dr. Bill Dorfman, DDS – Century City Aesthetic Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):