Have you ever wondered how your dental health stacks up against other people in your state? The latest poll from Gallup suggests that not every state is equal when it comes to making regular visits to the dentist. Are you at risk of losing your teeth?
What the Latest Statistics Say about Who is at Risk
Your Century City cosmetic dentist recently found out that, according to Gallup, going to the dentist is more common in the Northeast than the South.
People up North were more likely to have visited the dentist in the last 12 months. Connecticut (74.9%) was the highest. People in the South had the lowest visitation rates. Mississippi (53.0%) ranked at the bottom. In fact, 27 percent of senior citizens in Mississippi have no natural teeth, compared to only 9.2 percent in Connecticut.
Your Beverly Hills cosmetic dentist wants to reassure you that this doesn’t mean you don’t have a fighting chance. It’s up to you to take the steps necessary to reverse statistics in your state. However, there are certain factors that may increase your risk of tooth loss.
According to Journal of Periodontology, the top factors that contribute to tooth loss are:
- Age (over the age of 35)
- Gender (males are more likely to lose teeth)
- Lack of professional dental care
- Lack of personal dental care
- High blood pressure
- Rheumatoid arthritis
To reduce your risk of losing your teeth, your Century City cosmetic dentist recommends you take preventative measures. Certain things you can’t prevent, such as your age and gender. However, you can practice good oral hygiene, stop smoking, and take care of your health.
Risk Losing Your Teeth if You Don’t Practice Good Oral Care
You’ve heard it all before. However, it always bears repeating. Your Beverly Hills cosmetic dentist wants you to know that you can help yourself to better dental health by:
- Brushing at least twice a day for no less than two minutes each time;
- Using a fluoridated toothpaste;
- Flossing at least once daily to remove plaque;
- Eating a healthy diet that specifically includes vitamins A and C;
- Avoiding all tobacco products;
- Limiting your alcohol intake;
- Taking care of your physical health to lower your risk for disease;
- Keeping your health care professional’s apprised of any changes in your medical or dental health; and
- Understanding the connection between medical and dental health.
The best way to help yourself and protect against tooth loss is to visit your Century City cosmetic dentist regularly.